The primary purpose of events in Wolbach Library is to promote the work of the CfA community and to support their scholarly and professional needs. To this end we expect library spaces to be treated with care and respect and that any and all expenses related to staffing, cleanup, or damage will be fully reimbursed by event sponsors. Please refer to the following procedures when planning events in Wolbach, and contact Daina Bouquin if you have questions. Please also refer to Wolbach's Code of Conduct.
Tours for both the Great Refractor and the Glass Plates Collection are currently suspended.
Additional information about tours is available here.
Restrictions and Conditions
- Event sponsors are responsible for organizing event logistics including, but not limited to, setup and cleanup activities (e.g., catering)
- The Head Librarian, or her/his designee, must approve any furniture removal or arrangement associated with events
- Events must adhere to fire safety codes, including the maximum stated capacities of the spaces
- Use of lighted candles is prohibited
- Spaces should be acknowledged as Wolbach Library spaces in relevant announcements and public remarks
- Partisan political campaigning and/or fundraising is not permitted
- Groups planning events should be familiar with Harvard's Policy Regarding Use of Alcohol
- Groups planning events should be familiar with the following Harvard and Smithsonian entities and how they may be relevant to their prospective events:
The following additional restrictions apply to tours
- No food or drinks
- No touching objects unless something is directly handed to you
- Photographing artifacts is permitted, but do not photograph staff without their permission
- No recording without prior written permission
- No children under age 16, 16-17 with a parent or responsible adult
- No "self-guided tours" or walkthroughs of the collection.
- Visitors must stay with the group
- Tour groups are limited to no more than 10 individuals.
All members of the CfA community committing to events in Wolbach Library shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Wolbach Library and the CfA against any and all claims, suits, actions of any kind, arising and resulting in and accruing from any negligent act, omission, or error of the organization or group resulting in or relating to personal injuries, property damage, or any other claim arising from the organization/group’s event or use of the Library’s event spaces. The individual or group requesting to hold an event in Wolbach Library is ultimately responsible for its safe execution.